Friday 26 April 2013

Cross-Stitch Cushion


Given the name I decided for this blog it seems appropriate that my first post should be about a cushion!


This cushion was made using a piece of cross-stitch, which are quite simple to do if you can follow a pattern, cross-stitch kits are available online and from craft shops. I was first introduced to cross-stitch when I was young by my cousin and went through a stage of creating many Winnie the Pooh pieces, one was entered in a local village fair by my Gran and I won a prize! (Prize-winning entry pictured left!) As you can see I have moved on from Winnie the Pooh, this piece was given to me as a Christmas present several years ago and took ages to complete but looks lovely now I have finished it. I didn't want to just stick it in a frame and mount it on a wall so had the brainwave to turn it into a unique cushion and I am thrilled with the result! Here's how I did it:

Firstly, I sewed my finished cross-stitch design onto a backing fabric. I choose a dark green but any colour would work, just be careful if you go for a bold colour because it will show through slightly and could detract from the design.


Then, I found a fabric for the back of my cushion. I choose this beautiful red and white design which I found in my fabric box and matches the red telephone box on the cross-stitch. I found a cushion to use inside (available from many shops), measured it and cut the backing fabric and cross-stitch to fit, remembering to leave a seam allowance of 2 cm.
Then, place the front and back fabrics together with the right sides (the sides you will see when it is finished) together and pin. Sew along three sides 2 cm in from the edge using a basic machine running stitch, being careful when you turn the corners. Then sew about a quarter of the way down the fourth side from each end so you have an opening on one side. Turn the cover the right way around.

You next need to decide how you are going to close up the opening. Many cushion covers have zips but I decided to use buttons which seemed more in-keeping with the vintage feel of the design. To create button fastenings I first worked out where the buttons and buttonholes were going to go, then I seamed the side so the raw edges won't be visible and created the buttonholes using the contraption that comes with most sewing machines. Finally I sewed the buttons on the opposite side making sure they matched the holes! 

Finally stuff the cushion through the opening and fasten up the buttons. Et voilĂ , a beautiful, hand made and unique cushion which looks great on this antique chair I inherited form my Grandma (above). I am so pleased with it I have decided to create one of each season, I am currently halfway through a cross-stitch design of an autumn scene (opposite) which I am excited to see finished.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma! Just saw this on Facebook and came to check it out. Looks fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna! Been planning it for ages but just got my act together. I had a look at your blog for some inspiration! x

    ReplyDelete