Saturday 10 August 2013

Rejuvenated Ottoman



The inspiration for the rejuvenation of this ottoman came from the TV programme 'Kirstie's Vintage Home' which I absolutely loved! It gave me heaps of ideas to give old furniture a new lease of life and I've slowly been putting them into practice around my family home.



This was how the ottoman looked before I got my hands on it. Pretty bland and uninspiring!






The first step was to paint the ottoman inside and out. It is going into my parent's bedroom which is pale blue and red so I used this as my colour scheme. I used the same paint that was used to paint their walls so just ordinary emulsion paint. It needed 2 coats of paint to cover the wood completely but if you wanted to keep the wood effect you could use a watered down paint as a wash and the wood grain should still show through.




Once the paint had thoroughly dried I covered the top of the lid with wadding, bought quite cheaply from Hobbycraft. I trimmed the edges so the wadding fitted and stuck it down with double-sided tape.


Next step was to cover the lid with fabric. I chose this gorgeous patterned fabric - in red to match the colour scheme. First I unscrewed the hinges so the lid was separated from the box. Place the fabric with the pattern straight and centred and then flip the lid over. 

Now fold over the edges of the fabric to create a hem to hide the raw edges. This stage is a lot easier with two people so one can hold the fabric taut while the other hammers the tacks in. You can either use a staple gun or hammer tacks in to secure the fabric.

Secure the fabric in the centre of each edge to keep it in place and then work your way around the lid hammering in as many tacks as needed. I folded the corners like you would when wrapping a present, you may need to trim some of the fabric otherwise it will be too bulky.




Et voilĂ  a super stylish ottoman to provide storage and look fantastic! I'm quite jealous this is going in my parent's room, I might have to find one for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment